Subject: Upgrading procmail & substituting for /bin/Mail

From: [email-masked] (Gary Goldberg)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 09:45:59 -0500

I comitted a cardinal sin of system administration by upgrading my procmail
installation from 3.03 to 3.10 by 'just doing it' without testing or
finding out if any of my (mostly simple) recipes would fail. Installation
went fine on my Solaris 2.3 SPARC running Sendmail V.8.6.9, but I thought
I'd ask if there were anything I should be aware of in upgrading.

The other question I had regards replacing /bin/Mail in my sendmail.cf. It
seems very straightforward to substitute for Mlocal as indicated in
examples/advanced but I was wondering if, taking the same flags I'm using now,
if there were any 'gotchas' I need to know, or anyway it could break my
sendmail configuration. Here is my Mlocal line now -

Mlocal,         P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFMfSn, S=10, R=20/40,
                A=mail -d $u

I also wanted to say how much I appreciate this list and the wonderful
procmail software. I file away each digest knowing that someday each of the
messages will be useful. Thanks. -Gary

- .sig under construction - No 2-way radios during daylight hours.
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW email: [email-masked]  (301) 249-6501
Digital Marketing, Inc., Bowie, MD. http://www.digimark.net/

---

From: "Michael J. Corrigan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 1995 09:39:39 -0800

> I'd ask if there were anything I should be aware of in upgrading.

I've had no problems due to upgrading from 3.03 up through 3.10.

> Mlocal,         P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFMfSn, S=10, R=20/40,

                               F=lsDFMfSnPh, S=10, R=20,
Looks like it should work. The procmail examples/advanced doc also recommends
`P' and `h' among the F= flags and `P' is valuable.

A way to test it without affecting anyone else is to make the changes
in an alternate .cf file and send mail (maybe have to be root to do this)
to yourself using the alternate using the 2 lines:

sendmail -Calternate.cf you
ctl-D

If you get the mail and it looks ok then put the new one in place.