Subject: Re: Suggestion

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 18:26:49 +0200

Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The VERSION feature just seemed easy to implement and usefull, at least
>> to me to avoid an ugly sed.

>You can already compile procmail with VERSION set in config.h.  As I
>said, I would like it too, to produce an X-Mailer line in my outgoing
>mail, but that's not really something I can't do without.  If VERSION
>became standard, the next person would ask for a timestamp builtin
>identifying the procmail compilation

Well, I'm almost certain that the VERSION variable will not get in.  I have
to draw the line somewhere.  So far noone could give a very convincing
argument as to why it is essential.  In due course, I might be inclined
to give formail the capability to generate a procmail/formail version ID,
but that doesn't have high priority.

> and procmailrc script.  It's the
>old story of canned worms.

As a matter of fact, I just agreed to put the name of the current
rcfile being processed in the $_ special variable.

>> > >I would have liked to be able to separate log output that are errors
>> > >from those that are just report of procmail activity.

>	LOGFILE=.mailerrors
>	LOGABSTRACT=no
>	TRAP='
>	case $EXITCODE in 0)
>		exec >>.maillog
>		formail -X"From "  -X Subject:
>		echo "----> $LASTFOLDER"
>	esac'

Or, even simpler:

       LOGFILE=.mailerrors
       LOGABSTRACT=no
       TRAP='test $EXITCODE = 0 &&
	      formail -l $LASTFOLDER >>.maillog ;; '

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Real programmers don't just die, they produce core dumps.