Subject: Re: PINE

From: [email-masked] (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 01:02:00 -0600 (CST)

Ron Parker asked this on the SmartList list, but it really is a procmail
question:

| I cannot use elm to test my archive server locally (right now I have to 
| use my bbs email system), so I tried to setup Pine. I set my MAILDIR in 
| .procmailrc to $HOME/mail, and it does exist. I also have write access 
| to it. However, when I try to send mail from Pine, I get "cannot create 
| mail/mail-sent".  Anyone know a reason for this?

Someone else had a similar problem a couple weeks back.  Are you doing this?

 MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

 :0 flags:
 * conditions
 mail/mail-sent

Procmail always chdirs to $MAILDIR whenever you define or change its value.
If your recipe looks like that, you were trying to save the letter to
$MAILDIR/mail/mail-sent, which is $HOME/mail/mail/mail-sent.  If no such
directory as $HOME/mail/mail/ exists, procmail can't create the folder.  It
isn't enough that $HOME/mail/ exists if $HOME/mail/mail/ doesn't.

Your recipe should look like this if $MAILDIR is already $HOME/mail:

 :0 flags:
 * conditions
 mail-sent

David W. Tamkin  Box 3284  Skokie, Illinois  60076-6284
[email-masked]    MCI Mail: 426-1818   +1 312 714 5610