Subject: Re: Notify after sorting.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 11:01:38 PDT

On Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:19:49 Jody Klymak <[email-masked]> Wrote:

> Basically, I want notification when procmail has sent a piece of mail
> into a folder.  I am told that I have new mail by my system (not biff),
> but then I have to search through all my mail-folders to find it!  
> 
> Is there a good set of procmail-actions that I can use to notify me
> when a piece of mail has been processed and sorted by procmail?
> 

Hi Jody

I think I have a really good solution to this problem. For years now
I have been using a slightly modified version of xmh along with a
simple modification to procmail. Both modifications twiddle the owner
execute bit of the file and folder names. The xmh window that I keep
up on my screen has a little blank box besides each incoming folder
name. When that folder contains new mail that hasn't been read the
little box gets filled in to give me an instant visual indicator that
new mail has arrived and in which folder the mail was placed. Then
when I read the mail, the little box returns to its blank state again.

This system has been a godsend for me. I subscribe to the
x-consortium list, the internet rfc lists, the usenix lists, and
procmail/smartlist. I also administrate 31 local lists with a total
of >1000 subscribers.  Altogether I get approx 250 mail msgs per
day... which I couldn't possibly manage without my xmh/procmail
system.

A long time ago Stephen incorporated the requisite changes into
procmail to support this feature. I had thought that Donna Converse
would make a simular mod to xmh, but the x11r6 version does not
contain the mods for whatever reason. The modified xmh code can be
had from my ftp site if anyones interested, and Stephen can address
wether or not he left the supporting mods in procmail. If not, the
changes are simple (two lines of code as I remember).

If anyones interested in pursuing this further email to me directly.
If there is enough interest I will post the details to the list,
otherwise I will respond to individual posts.

Cheers,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Roger Smith				Voice: 415-604-3583
Sterling Software at			Fax:   415-604-1560

NASA-Ames Research Center
M/S 233-10, Bldg 233, Rm 235
Moffett Field, Ca. 94035

email:[email-masked]		
 http://ccf.arc.nasa.gov/~rsmith/rsmith.html
- 
Change is the essential process of all existence. If change 
is -- inevitable -- predictable -- beneficial -- 
doesn't logic demand that you be a part of it?
One man cannot summon the future. But one man can change the present!
    --Spock, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", Stardate 5730.2
+