Subject: file locking ([repost] Re: ??? on NFS file locking)

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 16:14:01 -0400

> "Roman" == Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]> wrote:

   Roman> Emacs however only issues a warning but cannot incorporate
   Roman> the new messages and would overwrite them given the yes.

> "Stephen" == Stephen R van den Berg
> <[email-masked]> wrote:

   Stephen> Emacs is a bit limited in that respect.  Although,
   Stephen> theoretically, it could be changed to support arriving
   Stephen> mail in files which are already in a buffer.

I use the gnus package of Emacs to read my mail.  Procmail delivers
each incomming message to an mh-style folder, which is what gnus takes
as input.  If the base directory of your mail folders is ~/Mail, fire
up gnus with:

(defun gnus-read-mail ()
  "Read mail with GNUS"
  (interactive)
  (if (not (file-exists-p "~/.newsrc-:Mail"))
      (call-process "touch ~/.newsrc-:Mail"))
  (setq gnus-nntp-server ":Mail")
  (gnus) )

(global-set-key "\C-cm"  'gnus-read-mail)

Note that this obviates the need for MH, for those who don't want to
deal with the installation pain.

The good part about this method is that gnus doesn't need to be
interlocked with procmail, since each message goes to a separate file.

-- 
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
[email-masked]              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700
Software Engineer               Fairfax, VA 22033
                                Phone:    (703)273-1447   
                                Fax:      (703)273-2972
                                PGPprint: 0x06C96661

Standard disclaimers apply