Subject: extracting size

From: Adrenalized Megadeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 00:56:42 +0100 (MET)

Is it possible to extract the size of individual incoming message, 
*together* with the author of the message, saving it to a file?

ranan

---

From: [email-masked] (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 21:55:49 -0600 (CST)

Ranan Samanya asked,

| Is it possible to extract the size of individual incoming message,
| *together* with the author of the message, saving it to a file?

Yes, but do you want to count characters in the head and the body or only
those in the body?  Should newlines count?

  # use :0HB to measure both head and body,  * 1^1 .|$  to include newlines
  :0B
  * 1^1 .
  { }
  SIZE = $=

  :0hc:
  | echo "`formail -zxFrom:`" $SIZE >> authors_and_sizes

Since the standard logabastract already logs the size (including the head)
and the From_ line to the logfile, it's probably unnecessary to do all that.

---

From: Adrenalized Megadeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 21:33:07 +0100 (MET)

> and the From_ line to the logfile, it's probably unnecessary to do all that.

But mailstat can only report the total of each folder instead of individual 
messages, and going to the log file manually to extract the size is not a 
pleasant thing to do. ;-)

ranan