Subject: Regular expression not matching

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Doughty)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 11:02:47 +0500

Can someone tell me why this condition:

* ^(From.*lists@esri|X-(Mailing-List|Loop:.*esri))

is not matching mail with the following headers (among others) (I manually
added the leading '>')?  

>From [email-masked]  Wed Apr  5 10:42:56 1995
>From: [email-masked] (SmartList Account [ESRI-Redlands])

egrep -e '^(From.*lists@esri|X-(Mailing-List|Loop:.*esri))' ~/Mail/inbox
matches them, but 

procmail v3.10 1994/10/31 written and created by Stephen R. van den Berg

is passing it through to my DEFAULT in box.  And I know it is getting to
this condition check since I bracket that condition with VERBOSE=on/off's

What obvious procmail regular expression subtlety am I missing?

(P.S. the reason for the complexity in the condition in the first place is
that ESRI recently seems to have adopted SmartList and they keep changing
the headers they are including.)  Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan Doughty          The MITRE Corporation          [email-masked]