Subject: what's vm?

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 10:37:09 -0400

> "tim" == tim werner <[email-masked]> writes:

   tim> I've seen a number of references to VM, some claiming it's
   tim> superior to rmail, but I can't find anything about it in the
   tim> emacs archives, except for some supporting elisp (like a
   tim> function to convert rmail-babyl to vm).

   tim> What I'm looking for is some way of reading a mail folder
   tim> (that has been created for me by procmail) that will allow me
   tim> to kill a thread when I get tired of it, for instance.

   tim> As much as I like rmail, I'd switch to some other tool for
   tim> reading at least one mailinglist that I'm on, if it would let
   tim> me do this.

If you are willing to have procmail put your mail in mh-style folders,
you can use GNUS to read your mail as if it were news.  I like having
a single UI for both.  The following stuff might be helpful in your
.emacs:

(defun gnus-read-mail ()
  "Read mail with GNUS"
  (interactive)
  (if (not (file-exists-p "~/.newsrc-:Mail"))
      (call-process "touch ~/.newsrc-:Mail"))
  (setq gnus-nntp-server ":Mail")
  (gnus) )

(defun gnus-read-news ()
  "Read news with GNUS"
  (interactive)
  (if (not (file-exists-p "~/.newsrc"))
      (call-process "touch ~/.newsrc"))
  (setq gnus-nntp-server (getenv "NNTPSERVER"))
  (gnus) )

(global-set-key "\C-cm"  'gnus-read-mail)
(global-set-key "\C-cn"  'gnus-read-news)

-- 
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
[email-masked]              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700
Software Engineer               Fairfax, VA 22033
                                Phone:    (703)273-1447   
                                Fax:      (703)273-2972
                                PGPprint: 0x06C96661

Standard disclaimers apply