Subject: Re: procmail and emacs rmail

From: tim werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 13:09:01 -0400

>Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 00:34 PDT
>From: [email-masked] (John Conover)
>
>Hi. I have some rather large volume email, and was wondering if anyone
>could make some suggestions on the use of procmail with emac's rmail.
>Any suggestions would be appreciated,

I have this .procmailrc:
   # ~/.procmailrc
   #
   # Configuration file for procmail mail processing software
   #
   # General environment variables  (You may not need all of these; see the
   # procmail(1) man page to find out what each one means.  Of course, the
   # HOME variable should be set to your own home directory.)
   #
   HOME=		/home/id11h/werner
   PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/id11h/werner/bin/sparc
   MAILDIR =	$HOME/Mail
   LOGFILE =	$MAILDIR/.procmaillog
   TMP=		$HOME/tmp
   SENDMAIL=	/usr/lib/sendmail
   TMPFILE=	$TMP/procmail.$$
   LOCKFILE=	$HOME/Mail/.procmail
   DEFAULT=        /var/spool/mail/werner
   
   :0
   * ^Sender: [email-masked]
   cpunks
   
   :0
   * ^From: [email-masked]
   cpunks

I have an rmail folder ~/Mail/cypherpunks.  I created ~/Mail/cypherpunks
from emacs with "M-x rmail-input RET ~/Mail/cypherpunks RET".  Then, I
used "M-x set-rmail-inbox-list RET ~/Mail/cpunks".  This permanently
sets the folder that procmail creates to be the input for the rmail
folder.

Then, if I want to read mail that came into the cypherpunks list, I just
open my cypherpunks rmail folder, and type "g", to read it like I
otherwise read RMAIL.  Everything that isn't for the cpunks folder just
goes to /var/spool/mail/werner, and I can read it the usual RMAIL way,
without having to wade through all the cpunks.

Procmail is great.

tw