Subject: Re: Procmail vs. group-perms in /usr/spool/mail on HPs?

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 14:43:24 +0200

"Alan K. Stebbens <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I've just installed procmail and have a student testing it; already
>we've notice that when run on our central HP mailserver, the necessary
>group-permissions are getting lost.  Is there a config var I can change,
>or is this a misfeature?

There is a semi config variable to override this: edit config.h and change
the definition of OVERRIDE_MASK to (S_IRWXU|S_ISUID|S_ISGID|S_ISVTX).
As to wether or not this is a misfeature, the jury is still out.

>-rw-rw----    1 aks      mail        1539 Sep 13 20:03 aks

>-rw-------    1 aks      mail           0 Sep 13 15:31 aks

Procmail does this if *not* at least one of the following conditions are
satisfied:
1. Procmail is sgid mail and the permissions on /usr/spool/mail are
   drwxrwxr-x.
2. The permissions on /usr/spool/mail/aks are -rwx-rw----.

So what were the permissions on your current procmail and /usr/spool/mail?

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).
"I hate spinach, and I'm glad that I hate it, because if I wouldn't hate it,
 I would have to eat it, and I hate it!"