Subject: Re: Auto-Reply Man Page Example-Not Working Here

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 21:09:54 +0100

Adrenalized Megadeth <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Mar 1995, Neerav B. Modi wrote:
>> > :0 h c
>> > * !^FROM_DAEMON
>> > * !^From [email-masked]
>> > * !^From [email-masked]
>> > | (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk";\
>> >    echo "Mail received.") | /usr/lib/sendmail -t
>> > --------end .procmailrc file--------------

>> You need to specify the matching text that determines which file is sent 

I don't think that will make a difference (at least, not at first).

>Actually sending an echo should also work. But I found many examples from 
>the man pages do not work.

If something doesn't work, try setting VERBOSE=on and look at the logfile.
Also, the examples in the man pages might work better if you put the
following assignment at the top of your .procmailrc file:

	SHELL=/bin/sh

> What if  _-A"Precedence: junk"_ is removed?

That won't stop the reply from being generated, but would be bad practice.
Also, the example, as shown, is quite outdated.  The newer versions of
the manpage (e.g. the one that comes with procmail v3.10) show a much
improved style.

>OK, this will paste the contents of brochure.info to the mail. Is it 
>possible to _attach_ a file? A binary file can not be sent just like 
>that, not? ;-)

You can, by calling metamail or mpack.

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

To boldly program, where *no* man has programmed before!