Subject: procmail and AFS

From: Tim Van de Walle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 22:10:16 -0500 (EST)

I am attempting to use procmail to sort incoming mail into folders.  I 
use pine to read and send mail on a Sun network running Sun OS 4.1. 
Also, procmail is not installed globally, i.e. I am using it locally 
from my home directory. We use AFS here and I have a feeling that this 
may be causing my problem. 

Here's the problem:

Initially I tried a test recipe in which I sorted messages with the word 
"test" in the subject.  This works fine as long as the mail comes from 
the same machine that I am logged onto.  For example if I am logged onto 
a machine called cslewis.helios.nd.edu and the mail originates from a 
user logged onto cslewis.helios.nd.edu everything works fine.  However, 
if I am logged onto cslewis.helios.nd.edu and the mail originates from 
somebody logged onto faulkner.helios.nd.edu then the mail arrives, but it 
does not get sorted.

This leads me to believe a couple of things.  First the recipe appears to 
be fine.  Also it appears that our system does recognize and use .forward 
files.

I have tried a couple of fixes suggested in the examples such as having 
two .forward files.  One called .forward with the line 
"[email-masked]"  The other one called 
.forward.my.favorite.machine with the line that calls procmail (the 
standard line from the examples file with the appropriate modifications 
to path and myid).  This did not seem to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem or 
what might be causing it?  Any help is greatly appreciated.