Subject: procmail and fake "From "

From: Richard Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 00:49:28 -0500

I've changed our mail delivery agent (MDA) to be procmail.
My question is about how to deal with messages containing lines
beginning with "From ".  People who use "mail" are getting corrupted
folders when someone forwards a message and it contains a line
beginning with "From ".  It appears "mail" ignores Content-length and
splits the folder at the wrong spot.  I don't know why, but
this sometimes confuses "mail".

Now my questions comes from reading the Sendmail book (Bat book)
in the chapter about delivery agents.  There is an option to
sendmail "F=E" which will cause it to add ">" in front of such
lines.  But the sendmail book says that this is rarely needed since the
local delivery agent will typically deal with this.  My procmail
setup appears to not do this.  I've set up the Mlocal line in
sendmail.cf exactly like that in examples/advanced.

Is it preferable for sendmail or procmail to take care of this
problem?  How would I do it with procmail?

Our mailhost is a Solaris 2.3 machine if that makes any difference.

Richard Coleman           pgp key (keyID 0x71FB29E1) at keyservers (or)
system administrator      send me e-mail with subject "get pgp key"
[email-masked]   for automatic response.

---

From: "Michael J. Corrigan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 22:22:34 -0800

> beginning with "From ".

> Is it preferable for sendmail or procmail to take care of this

Your call. I'd prefer local mailer.

> problem?  How would I do it with procmail?

Procmail can do it - for deliveries to the regular spool - by specifying
 -Y among the options in A= in the Mlocal line.