Subject: Re: mailing to a file

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 20:53:36 +0200

Elmar Kurgpold <[email-masked]> wrote:
>My system is SunOS 4.1.3, and I'm using procmail version 2.92pre11 (I
>know, it's time to upgrade) as the local delivery agent.  I've created an
>alias called "reference" which I originally setup like so: 

>reference: /var/spool/mail/reference

>This caused problems for anyone who does not have write access to the
>file, and they get the "cannot create output" message.  I'm no formail
>expert, but for the heck of it I tried: 

>reference: "|/path/formail >/var/spool/mail/reference"

>I still get "Permission denied" and it fails.  So the big question is, 
>how can I have users send mail to a file without A) creating a dummy 
>account, or B) giving world write privileges to that file?

Use an /etc/procmailrcs/somercfile rcfile.  For that to work, you'll
need to upgrade to v3.00 or later.

Then you can do things like:

reference: "|exec /path/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/somercfile"

The somercfile will be executed with the privileges of the owner of
the file.  Unless you understand the implications of this, do not
allow any untrusted users to own files in /etc/procmailrcs (chown and such).

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

"I have a *cunning* plan!"