Subject: Re: Mailboxes as links

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 15:58:29 +0100

Ed Symanzik <[email-masked]> wrote:
>What can I do to make procmail accept mailboxes that are links?

The default system mailbox can never be a link, procmail will not accept
it because it constitutes a possible security hole.

>Our /usr/spool/mail would be greater than 2Gig (the maximum size of
>a filesystem) if it were all in one directory.  We would like to 
>make everything under /usr/spool/mail a link to real mailboxes so
>we can break it up a bit.

Possible solutions, either:
- Move the mail files to the $HOME partitions, e.g. compile procmail with a
  SYSTEM_MBOX of $HOME/Mail/mbox (or $HOME/.mbox).
- Use mail files named like:	/usr/spool/mail/$LOGNAME/mbox or
				/usr/spool/mail/$LOGNANE/$LOGNAME
  If you do that, /usr/spool/mail/$LOGNAME can be a link.
- Use two procmails, select between the two in the sendmail.cf file, 
  each one can deliver in it's "own" /usr/spool/mail.
- In the /etc/procmailrc file, modify the ORGMAIL and DEFAULT values if
  that person's mailbox is somewhere else.

With all solutions, you have to watch out that all mail readers still use
the appropriate lockfile in the appropriate directory (some mail readers
might need to be recompiled, some honour environment variables).

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

In this signature, the concluding three words `were left out'.