Subject: Re: Maillinglists with a Microsoft Mail Gateway

From: Peter Marks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 09:35:12 -0800 (PST)

Julie Starr writes:

> 	I've been told that the MSMail gateway was looking at the
> 'envelope' and not the real header. 

You've been told true.  But rumor has it that MS will correct this in an
upcoming release (and add MIME-compliance).

> 	Has anyone else run into this problem? Any solutions?

No real solutions within procmail.  Different mailers (and configurations)
will allow munging the outgoing envelope to an extent varying from 'not at
all' to 'put in what you want if you're priviledged'.  There is a munging
recipe for the outgoing headers in the rc.submit script that you can play
with.

But we're really caught between a rock and a hard place ... what will you
change the 'From_' to:

  (0) list@... (what you're getting now) has the default reply problem,
      but at least bounces don't go to the poor originator.

  (1) <listname>@... will default replies to the list, but will also 
      return bounces to the list. DON'T DO IT

  (2) <listname-request>@... is better than (0); it will at least let
      the MSMail readers see what list is involved BUT THEY HAVE TO LOOK,
      which they're not doing now if they're replying to 'list'

  (3) <originator>@... will make 'reply to originator' the default for
      the MSMAIL people, but posters will then receive bounces

I use (0) on some lists, (3) on others, but am not happy with either (I
would switch to (2), but the mailer I use most won't let me).  I detest
letting a *broken* program drive things, but MSMail is the most popular
mailreader among my customers. ;-(

For the time being, at least, plead with people to use signature within
their postings. [some ccMail users also need these to determine the source
of list mail.]

P-)
         AT&T          
        Global         Peter Marks  <[email-masked]>
     Information       Seattle Technology Center (206)489-0501
      Solutions        15307 NE 202nd Street, Woodinville, WA 98072 
         ++++