Subject: Re: Link with news.

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 23:20:36 -0400

> "Simon" == Simon Michael <[email-masked]> writes:

   Simon> Steve Morris writes:
   >> I suppose this isn't really the right place to ask but what
   >> tools are available to read newsgroups and extract posts into
   >> mail folders. I use emacs vm (as of today) and procmail.

   Simon> Here's what I'm using to extract posts and copy to a mailing
   Simon> list - suggestions appreciated :

(script deleted)

Or, if you have access to your news machine, put some lines like this
in your newsfeeds(5) file:

[email-masked]:!*,news.software.nntp,comp.sources.bugs\
	:Tm:mailer!
mailer!:!*\
	:W*,Tp:/usr/ucb/Mail -s "News article" *

(note: untested, but taken verbatim from the inn man pages)

-- 
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
[email-masked]              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700
Software Engineer               Fairfax, VA 22033
                                Phone:    (703)273-1447   
                                Fax:      (703)273-2972
                                PGPprint: 0x06C96661

Standard disclaimers apply

---

From: Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 1994 13:11:09 +0200

> mail folders. I use emacs vm (as of today) and procmail.

Most newsreader have a switch to save articles in mailbox format (for
example trn -M).  I personally use a script doing the equivalent of

	formail -t -IPath: >> $HOME/Mail/box

Then I can continue reading news while writing followups in the Emacs
window, VM is so nice to generate the proper Newsgroups and References
lines.  My sendmail-program (a #!/bin/procmail -m script) then detects
that Newsgroups: line and posts the article:

	:c
	^Newsgroups:
	{

		# ... reformating rules

		:a
		| inews
	}

> in your newsfeeds(5) file:

This is what I'd ask my newsmaster for if I were to gate a newsgroup
to a mailing list.  A newsfeed can be installed just like a .forward.