Subject: RE: Notify after sorting.

From: @ee.udel.edu, @louie.udel.edu, @louie.udel.edu:[email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 20:44:18 +0200

In Reply to Your Message of Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08: 19:49 PDT
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 14:30:29 -0400
From: Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

Jody Klymak <[email-masked]> says:
:
:Hi,
:
:Sorry if this has been covered, but the mail server doedn't
:seem to want to send me the latest articles.
:
:Basically, I want notification when procmail has sent a piece of mail
:into a folder.  I am told that I have new mail by my system (not biff),
:but then I have to search through all my mail-folders to find it!  
:
:Is there a good set of procmail-actions that I can use to notify me
:when a piece of mail has been processed and sorted by procmail?
:
:Many Thanks,
:
:Jody

I've seen lots of answers here, but I have one question.  If you're
looking for something simple, why don't you just do a

	set mail (1 [maillog file])

in your .cshrc?  I'm pretty sure that this works under plain csh, and
it definitely works under tcsh, and I'm pretty sure that zsh also
allows something like this.  Granted, whenever your maillog file is
updated all you'll get is a simple "You have new mail" message, but
from the looks of it, I didn't think you wanted anything more then
that.  If you do need to know where the mail has been put, couldn't you
just use the mailstat script?  I have an alias for `from' which does
that (sorry, too used to typing those four letters), which looks like
this:
        alias from  '$HOME/bin/mailstat \!* $HOME/.maillog'

I put the argument (\!*) so that I could type from -o to see where my
old mail was sorted or from -l for long listings, etc.

Also, isn't your last paragraph a little misleading.  I thought that
all mail gets processed by procmail, and if a recipe matched, the
appropriate action was taking, otherwise the mail was dropped into the
default directory.

       --Jerry

|>  Jerry Alexandratos             **  "vengo de la tierra del    <|
|>  [email-masked]        **   fuego ten cuidado cuando  <|
|>  [email-masked]         **   llamas mi nombre..."      <|

---

From: Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 21:12:02 +0200

> Organization: Mos Eisley Candy Store

:)

> 	set mail (1 [maillog file]) in your .cshrc?

Or even better set mail = (1 ~/Mail/{folder1,folder2,folder3}).
Then you will also be told where to find the mail.  The advantage
of this is that it does not consume any extra processes.  The
disadvantages are that it stats the files every minute, never allowing
for an unmount, and that it will ring up to a minute late.