Subject: Re: DEFAULT in .procmailrc

From: [email-masked] (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 03:13:08 -0600 (CST)

Bambang Kusumo asked,

| I'd like to know what is the DEFAULT in .procmailrc

DEFAULT is where incoming mail is filed if no delivering recipes in your
.procmailrc are successfully matched and executed.  Its default value is
the same as that of ORGMAIL, which should point to your system mailbox,
in your case /var/spool/mail/bskusumo.

| The program I use is pine or elm.  All the mail I receive come to 
| directory called /var/spool/mail
| Pine or elm directly read the messages from it, until I erase them.  Could 
| it be the one for DEFAULT?

It very probably is.

| If I really understand, this DEFAULT is the folder for any other mails 
| which are not specified.  Will this .procmailrc affect the mails in 
| /var/spool/mail?

If Pine and Elm respect procmail's locks and vice versa (that usually is no
problem on your main spool file but can be on alternate folders, where Elm,
for example, ignores locks) then there should be no problem with that setup.
In fact, that's the way things usually work.