Subject: Re: To -t or not to -t?

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:16:39 +0100

Bob Snyder <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I have procmail set up to deliver mail to $HOME/.mail as the Mlocal
>mailer for sendmail.  One of the big things I'm concerned about is
>making sure that if the home directory isn't available (ie, server
>down, or whatever), that the mail fails back to the mail queue, and
>doesn't simply bounce.

If the home directory is not available, mail never bounces it ends
up in the default system mail spool file of the recipient.

>  It seems to me that this is what the -t option
>does.  Is there any reason I shouldn't define this in the mailer
>definition?  Will this do what I want it to do?

If the default system mail spool file of the recipient is in his/her
home directory, then the -t option will make the difference between
bouncing and requeueing mail, yes.

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

He did a quarter of the work in *half* the time!