Subject: Re: "Folder is corrupt!!"

From: [email-masked] (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 23:24:05 -0600 (CST)

Pete Tedder wrote,

| One other thing can cause it.  elm gives this message if the 'From '
| line that separates mail messages (as distinct from the 'From:' line
| in the message's header) is incomplete.  It should look like this:
| 
| >From pwt42@miranda Thu May 26 09:50:28 1994
| 
| with a sender and a unix-format date'n'time.  But if, as sometimes
| happens, the sender gets omitted:
| 
| >From  Thu Dec 22 13:33:31 1994
| 
| elm crashes.

When that happens, Elm remains firmly of the opinion that the folder is
corrupt.  It doesn't change its mind a moment later and decide that the
folder is fine after all, the way Dave Mandl described. 

Mark A. Fullmer wrote:

| A quick hack I've lived with until I get around to writing a zsh completion
| thing for it.

| cd ~Mailbox
| export MAIL=procmail-list
| elm

Right; Elm will lock -- and honor locks on -- the folder named in the $MAIL
variable.  (It's not that simple, really, but I'm too dang tired to figure
out a coherent way to explain the exceptions.)