Subject: Re: "Unverified" filter in /etc/procmailrc

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 18:45:54 +0200

Eric C Hagberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Here's a script I'm trying to use to check for the "X-Sender:...
>(Unverified)" header generated by Eudora when a user sends mail before
>checking, and has therefore not authenticated with the username on the piece
>of mail. If the script finds this header, I want to have a banner message
>splashed at the top of the text of the mail to indicate the "unverivfied"
>status of the mail, since most users aren't quick enough to see something
>like that in a header.

The script you are using can have some interesting side effects (like
remote users receiving the mail twice if they were Cc'd).

>The following /etc/procmailrc puts the banner at the end of the message and
>also has a "Return-Path: root" in its headers. How might I go about fixing
>it to put the banner at the top, and get rid of the "Return-Path:" header?

The following recipe should be all you need:

:0 hf
* ^X-Sender:.*\(Unverified\)
| cat - ;\
  echo "        ######################################################";\
  echo "        ### WARNING! THIS MAIL SENT BY AN UNVERIFIED USER! ###";\
  echo "        ###                READER BEWARE!!!                ###";\
  echo "        ######################################################";\
  echo ""

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

In this signature, the concluding three words `were left out'.