Subject: Re: Procmail Vs. E.m Filter

From: mjj@emjay (Matthew Jackson)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 94 08:17:18 +0200

> 
> this is the first of a few elementary questions.  I'm curious if people 
> have found advantages or disadvantages of procmail over the elm filter 
> program.  they appear to do about the same thing.
> 

Well I was use elm's filter for a long time on an RS6000 directly
attached to the net and it worked well. When I lost that good
connection and started using UUCP I started having problems with
filter. Specifically, the mail messages being put directly into folders
were getting and mixed up together although always in the correct
folder. It appeared that there was no locking and that when two
messages turned up very close (like they always do when uucico runs)
that stuffed everything up although this may have just been my
configuration.

One day after I had had enough, I noticed a news posting about procmail
and went and grabbed it and installed it. After a bit of setting up and
a few problems (mostly due to laziness in not reading the
documentation) I had not had the same problem since.

On top of that, procmail and its associated programs allow me to do
much more than filter did. For example, the mailing list had some
discussion on splitting digests up so I borrowed some of the examples
from the discussion and then tweaked them a bit so now I have my Linux
Activists digest split and stored in a folder automagically.

So my vote goes to procmail without doubt.

Beer and kudos to the procmail developers, 

-- 
Matthew Jackson
[email-masked]
Linux - The choice of a GNU generation.