Subject: Re: why won't formail -r grab the right address?

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:40:57 +0100

"J. Daniel Smith" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I get what I consider to be the correct return address only after
>removing the "From " postmark.  I'm sure there's an explanation...does
>formail frown on bang-paths when it can use RFC822 address?  I'm

Yes.

>assuming that what this excerpt from the man page implies:

No.

>     When formail has to determine the sender's address, every RFC 822 con-
>     forming  mail  address is allowed.  Formail will always strip down the
>     address to its minimal form  (deleting  excessive  comments  and  whi-
>     tespace).

This means that an address like "john@(somewhere)doe.com" will be reduced
to "[email-masked]".

>In case you are wondering, the postmark is that of a local user's
>address.  Things work out better if this is a real user-id instead of
>just an alias since part of the mail processing requires a "remsh" to
>another machine, this is easier (and more secure) with a normal user
>than "root" or "daemon".

I don't immediately see why this should have any effect on the envelope
sender, but...

>  That being the case, is my only option
>always to remove the postmark first?

Yes.

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

"Listen very carefully, I shall only say this once."