Subject: Re: How to implement a killfile mechanism?

From: [email-masked] (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 10:11:02 -0500 (CDT)

Andrew Vernon asked,

| Does anybody have any ideas to implement a killfile mechanism through
| procmail?  I get a lot of mail from lists (which have flamemongers,
| me-too'ers, etc) and even a news<>mail gateway and I want to create a
| [recipe] that will check the header (preferably as a whole) against a list
| similar to a SmartScript dist file, except it can contain subjects, etc. 
| and toss any messages containing one or more records into the bit bucket. 
| I tried the 'urgent' example in procmailex(5) to see if it could be
| adapted, but I couldn't even get it to work unmodified. 

Put all your death-sentence header lines into a file named $MAILDIR/.kill
(I like to start the names of non-mailbox files in $MAILDIR with a period so
that I can safely do "frm folders/*") and a recipe like this into your
.procmailrc:

        :
        * ? fgrep -f .kill
        { LASTFOLDER=killed HOST=dead }

That's assuming you don't have any additional rcfiles named on the command
line in your .forward.  If you don't keep a logfile, you might as well omit
the assignment of LASTFOLDER.

If you're using an older version (say, before 2.91 or thereabouts) that
doesn't grok braces,

        :
        ? fgrep -f .kill
        /dev/null

David W. Tamkin  P. O. Box 3284  Skokie IL  60076-6284
[email-masked]   MCI Mail: 426-1818   +1 312 714 5610

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 18:25:32 +0200

Andrew Vernon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Does anybody have any ideas to implement a killfile mechanism through
>procmail?  I get a lot of mail from lists (which have flamemongers,
>me-too'ers, etc) and even a news<>mail gateway and I want to create a
>recipie that will check the header (preferably as a whole) against a list
>similar to a SmartScript dist file, except it can contain subjects, etc. 
>and toss any messages containing one or more records into the bit bucket. 

Have you tried "man procmailsc" ?

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

"Well, if we're going to make a party of it, let's nibble Nobby's nuts!"