Subject: Re: Keying on recipient

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 20:36:51 +0200

Matthew Stier - Network Computing Solutions <[email-masked]> wrote:
>How does one key on a recipient in /etc/procmailrc, when the To: Cc: lines
>on mailing lists, could be "just about anyone".

$LOGNAME in the /etc/procmailrc file is always the username of the
recipient.

>Side note: Is there any real standard on catching the e-mail address for
>auto-replies to mailing lists?  At least for this group, it looks like
>you can key on "From " line or the "Resent-Sender: " line.

Quite.  "From " and Resent-Sender: are for administrative messages (like
bounces, etc.), Resent-From: is for submissions.  Also persistent is
the X-Mailinglist: field.

>  on other lists,
>I'm sure that the "From " line would actually point back to the originator.

No, most lists use the same type "From " line, i.e. for bounce messages.
Some use the Sender: instead of the Resent-Sender: field.

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

"Be spontaneous!"