Subject: Re: using procmail with the NeXT mailer

From: Robert Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 23:09 BST

<[email-masked]> writes:

>I've just started using procmail to sort my mail, and I'm having some  
>trouble getting it to act correctly with the NeXT mail program (I'm  
>running NS 2.1).  My .procmailrc looks like this:
>----------------------------------------

>PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:.
>MAILDIR=$HOME/Mailboxes	# You'd better make sure it exists
>DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Active.mbox/mbox
>LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
>LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

You do not want to do that.

What you want is to go and grab Carl Edmans mailapp-utilities which
will properly handle the creation of Mail.app folders for you.

>:0	
>* ^From.*unix-listproc@  * ^Subject:.*UNIX-LISTPROC
>listproc.mbox

>:0	
>* ^From.*List Maintainer  * ^Subject:.*MSDOS-Ann Digest
>MSDOS-Announce.mbox
>--------------------------------------------

>What I find is that incoming mail that doesn't match one of the  
>recipes is put in the /Active.mbox/mbox file but the table of  
>contents is not updated nor does the Next mail flag go up.  

That's because you've not told it to.... go grab appnmail from mailapp-utilities.

You then do not set DEFAULT to that path either. You use pipes for all
you NeXTMail folders ... you pipe into appnmail and it correctly
creates/enters the message into the Mail.app folder in the proper
location ensuring that the TOC is updated.