Subject: Re: problems with formail

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 20:51:02 +0100

Larry Chin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Can someone tell me if formail changes it's uid when it runs ?

>:0 ahc:
>|formail -X From: -X Reply-to: >>$HEADER

>executing formail apparenlty tries to change userids. The reason I say this
>is that formail is that this recipe runs on a machine that requires strong
>authentication to log in, and when procmail hits the formail line of the
>recipe, the strong authentication challenge prompt pops up. 

>needless to say the recipe fails because of this.

Formail does *not* change any id whatsoever.
Procmail does, however.

Most likely, your strong-authentication check allows procmail to change
its ids, but, having noticed that it did this, subsequently does not allow
procmail to execute other programs.  I suspect that the same problem will
occur if procmail tries to execute *any* other program.

In any case, I'd like to get more information about this strong-authentication
OS.  I've never seen a POSIX system that implements it.  Could you mail me
(not the mailinglist) any relevant man pages?

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

This is a day for firm decisions!  Or is it?