Subject: Re: procmail & mh -- "^From_/Content-Length" problem?

From: Jerry Peek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 20:50:21 -0700

> the mh "inc" command is now failing to
> correctly handle mail with an unescaped "^From_" and a "Content-Length"
> line.

You're right; MH ignores Content-Length.  (I don't think that's a
standard everywhere -- maybe just on Suns and some other systems?)
There was some discussion about that on the mh-users mailing list
(comp.mail.mh on Usenet) in the last six months or so.  There was a
patch and a workaround, too, I think.

There's an archive of the list on ftp.ics.uci.edu in the directory
mh/mh-users.  Try a case-insensitive search for ".content-length"
(so you don't match it in the message headers).
--
Jerry Peek; O'Reilly & Associates; Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA; [email-masked]
Info: gopher gopher.ora.com (or telnet, and login: gopher), or [email-masked]
Orders: (800)998-9938, +1 707-829-0515, fax +1 707-829-0104, or [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 15:57:40 +0100

Sam Cramer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I recently started using procmail and am quite happy with it, save for one
>problem which is vexing me: the mh "inc" command is now failing to

>When I incorporate new mail with "inc", the program appears to think that
>the unquoted "^From_" marks a new message.  It may be that somehow my use
>of procmail (or of the .forward mechanism from which I run procmail) gets
>confused when it see mail with an unescaped "^From_" line.

Either get an "inc" that supports Content-Length, or start procmail
(in the .forward file) with the -Y option.

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Real programmers don't just die, they produce core dumps.