Subject: Re: start up

From: Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 1994 11:59:47 +0100

> I untarred and typed 'make' in the new procmail dir and no errors were 
> evident. The problem is...I'm not sure what to do.

> the list I want to send to the folder scrnwrit.  I made a folder in
> PINE that is the name

You mean you've set incoming-folders=scrnwrit in your ~/.pinerc?

> :0:
> * [email-masked]
> scrnwrit
>             ...what now?

This recipe looks fine. You put it in your ~/.procmailrc

> Id.so: warning /usr/lib/libc.so.1.8.1 has older revision than expected 9

Looks like you compiled procmail on a different host from the one you
ran it on and the latter still has a old version of the operating
system installed.  Procmail should still run okay but to turn off the
warning you will have to recompile procmail with the older revision or
have your administrators upgrade the operating system on all hosts.

> It also shows the default rc file as	$HOME/.procmailrc

procmail will fill in your respective values for $HOME and $LOGNAME.

> Such as  /usr/spool/Mail/U22/robbee ?!?!

Are you sure this is the path to your mailbox?  This would be very
nonstandard but you can say DEFAULT=/usr/spool/Mail/U22/robbee in your
~/.procmailrc.

> If someone could untangle this a bit for me I may be able to get on
> with my life without severe psychological distress.

:) Let's see what I can do for you...

> The manual is ok but is not clear on the step by step proceedure for
> everything.

There is a FAQ file in procmail.tar that might've answered your
question.  I think we know that the documentation could be reworked a
little and geared more towards new users.  This is not really
Stephen's job, he's already giving much labor to the programs, but the
rest of us have all been a little too lazy to do it yet.

Part of the problem is that there are so many different mailer setups
that there is no one advice fit for every situation, no intelligent
script to do it automatically either.  Your site runs IDA sendmail:

	$ mconnect crl.com
	connecting to host crl.com (165.113.1.12), port 25
	connection open
	220 crl.crl.com 5.65c/IDA-1.5 Sendmail is ready
	expn robbee
	250 Rob Bidleman <robbee>
	quit
	221 crl.crl.com closing connection

If your postmaster hasn't disabled program mailers you can forward
your mail to procmail:

	cat > ~/.forward << EOF
	/u17/robbee/backup,
	|"IFS=' ' && exec /u17/robbee/bin/procmail -f- #robbee"
	EOF
	chmod a+r ~/.forward
	chmod a+x ~

Then mail a test message to yourself

	echo Subject: test | /usr/lib/sendmail -v -oew -di robbee

If procmail delivers your mail alright you can delete the backup line
from your ~/.forward and you're all set.