Subject: Re: How split a file in a archive retival system ?

From: Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 20:26:31 +0100

Mano Pallewatta <[email-masked]> asked:

> Does anybody know of a way to split a large file in to resonable
> sized chuncks with procmail utilities. The header should be
> repeated, but the subject line should indicate which part is it.

Use Splitmail. It is part of the Metamail package and generates
headers like these:

	Subject: huge.tar.gz (part 1 of several)
	...

	Subject: huge.tar.gz (part 4 of 4)
	MIME-Version: 1.0
	Content-Type: message/partial;
		id="12186.17914.760645612.ringebu";
		number=4; total=4

Because of the MIME-Header modern mail agents like Pine will
automatically reassemble the message in its proper order.

If Metamail has already been installed at your site all you'll need to
do is change `sendmail -t' to `splitmail -d' in your archive server.