Subject: deletion

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Donley)
Date: 26 Apr 95 21:31:07 EDT

How can I reliably delete incoming junk messages with procmail?  Right now, I
do it circuitously, writing to a temp file and using rm -f ~/*, but
occasionally that fails.  Is there a better way?  On elm's filter, I can just
use the delete command.  Do I have to forward my procmail filter output to elm?

Thanks,
Chris

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 23:04:12 -0400 (EDT)

> use the delete command.  Do I have to forward my procmail filter output to elm?

You could probably just "save"/deliver those messages to /dev/null...no 
lockfile needed :).
I thought about doing this, but instead opted for a junk-mail pine folder 
where procmail stashes anything deemed by the filtering rules as junk.  
Occasionally, something with an odd header slips in there and I just 
refine the filter.  It keeps the junk mail out of my inbox (which is all 
I really want) and lets me see, when I periodically check my junk-mail, 
how much junk I get and where it comes from. 

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis                      |  Mime attachments are OK
 [email-masked] |  But please ask before sending 
 http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu |  unsolicited huge files.
                                |  
_____Finger [email-masked] for PGP public key_____