Subject: Re: Help

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 18:54:01 +0200

Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]> wrote:
>:0
>* ^From.*zenpride
>! [email-masked]

>  Folder: /usr/local/bin/mmdf [email-masked]			   2820
>/usr/local/bin/mmdf/usr/local/bin/mmdf: : ^[^L^A.^A(M-2)a^L^B..^P^H^L^Cbin(M-F)^P^DMail^\^L^Clog^]^T: : not foundnot found

Smells very strongly after an mmdf binary being compiled for the wrong
processor type.  I.e. procmail and therefore the kernel tries to execute
mmdf, but then discovers that the magic of that file indicates that it is
not an executable file (e.g. you're trying to execute a sparc binary on an
alpha cpu); so procmail thinks, aha, not a binary executable, then it *must*
be a shell script, so it starts up /bin/sh, and feeds it the mmdf file.

The Bourne shell, boldly goes and interprets the binary gibberish as a shell
script.  The results were the debris that landed in your logfile.

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Real programmers don't just die, they produce core dumps.