Subject: there's probably a better way..

From: [email-masked] (jesse montrose)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 01:12:08 -0800

Okay, this posting has two purposes, one, if there's a better way to do what
I'm doing, I'd love to hear it, two, if not, someone else might want to use
this :)

FROM=`formail -rx To:`
# ------------------------------ categorize
CATEGORY=`fgrep "$FROM" people | cut -d, -f2`
:0wfh
| formail -i "X-Category: $CATEGORY"

the people file looks like this:

 [email-masked]          ,category1 category2
 [email-masked]     ,different.category

The goal here is to keep a relatively simple text file "address book",
rather than enter a separate recipe for each person I correspond with.  Once
I have the X-Category, eudora can filter stuff into the proper folders.

The snag is that I can only use From: and not other headers.  That's good
and bad, I'm intending to set this up for non-techie users, and don't want
them to have to do any more than list addresses and categories, but I'd also
like to have the OPTION to use other headers..
--
_________________________________________________________________________
jesse montrose         [email-masked] http://www.hooked.net/people/jesse
                     I don't recycle.  I'm a consumer, damn it, I consume

---

From: "J. Daniel Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 08:38:27 -0500

jesse montrose ([email-masked]) writes on 20 January 1995 at 01:12:08 -0800
>FROM=`formail -rx To:`
you may want to add the "t" and "z" options, "formail -rtzx To:"

>and bad, I'm intending to set this up for non-techie users, and don't want
Actually, since you are using "formail -r", a Reply-To: header will
take precedence over anything else.  Using other headers really don't
make much sense, except maybe Resent-From:.

   Dan
----------------------- message is author's opinion only ----------------------
J. Daniel Smith <[email-masked]>                   http://www.bristol.com/~dan
Bristol Technology Inc.	                        +1 203 438 6969, 438-5013 (FAX)
Ridgefield, Connecticut (USA)                           {info,[email-masked]
                                --------
 Von guten Maechten wunderbar geboren, erwarten wir getrost, was kommen mag.
 Gott ist mit uns am Abend und am Morgen, und ganz gewiss an jedem neuen Tag.
	- Dietrich Bonhoeffer