Subject: Re: Procmail and emacs

From: Frank Caggiano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 12:01:25 EST

Thanks for all the replies. The general consensus is to stop using
rmail to read mail and get another mail reader. Vm seems to be the
reader of choice to use from within emacs.  I'm going to ftp it and
take a look at it.

In the meantime I've been able to cobble together a solution by having
procmail deposit the incomming mail into files named '.nameR' and then
having rmail boxes named 'name' and then associating the two using
the emacs command 'set-rmail-inbox-list'.  At least this way I can do
a 'M-x rmail-input name' and then do a 'g'  to get new mail for that
mailbox.  Not great but a stopgap measure for now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	`The sensibility of man to trifles, and his insensibility
to great things, indicates a strange inversion.'
					Blaise Pascal

			    Frank Caggiano
			     R.N. Limited
			  Stony Brook,  N.Y.

			 EMAIL: [email-masked]

---

From: Roman Czyborra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 22:11:38 +0100

> Thanks for all the helpful info here.  but it leads me to conclude
> that I can't do what I want to do.

Well, I was talking about an outdated version of VM (5.35) that I had
been using up until last week, now I have 5.63.  Somewhere along the
line Kyle fixed that problem, vm-spool-files can be set on a per box
basis now.

> Is the best way to do this to have procmail write one file, and then
> when I'm ready to read it, rename the file and use vm to read the
> renamed file?

VM will do all of that for you.  For each subject you keep a box and a
box-spool and associate them in the vm-spool-files variable.  You will
not be bothered by any mail that procmail sorts into box-spool until
you say it's time to look into box again. If new mail comes in into
box-spool while you're reading box, you'll be able to incorporate it
with g)et.