Subject: Re: MH-style mail boxes

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 18:55:15 +0100

Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]> writes:

>    Rat> Now, say you go in and delete articles #80-91 because you
>    Rat> don't need them anymore. Procmail and inc will start numbering
>    Rat> new mail at 75, which will confuse you to no end because as
>    Rat> far as Gnus is concerned you've already read those articles.
> 
> This is the only hard part.  If someone who knew the internals of
> (ding) was able to hack this in, it would make my life complete.

Well, I know the (ding) internals pretty well. :-) 

If Gnus thinks you have read article 75, and procmail creates a new
mail article which as number 75, how is Gnus to know that it is a new
mail and not an old? Gnus could check create times, etc, but it would
be messy and slow.

I would be grateful for suggestions on how to deal with this problem. 
-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Ingebrigtsen

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 21:20:35 +0100

>mail and not an old? Gnus could check create times, etc, but it would

I don't know if this will help, but if you set UMASK=076 in procmail,
procmail will set the o-x bit on every mailbox it delivers to
(including the directory).

-- 
Sincerely,                                  [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

This is a day for firm decisions!  Or is it?