Subject: Messages to multiple recipients

From: Mark Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 11:46:56 -0800 (PST)

This isn't so much a procmail question as perhaps a mail question, but 
there might be a procmail solution to it!

I have a mail folder with a bunch of messages I've archived for about a 
year now.  There are about 100 different addresses listed which I would 
like to send the same message to.  I don't want to use a multiple TO: or 
CC: or BCC: to do this, and I would like each message to appear to be 
sent individually from me to the recipient.  Is there any easy way to do 
this for outbound mail?  BTW I am using Pine 3.91 and Procmail 3.10

Thanks, Mark

-- 
Mark Anderson   [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 17:09:05 -0500

> this for outbound mail?  BTW I am using Pine 3.91 and Procmail 3.10

I`d do this with perl or python or, if I had to, with a shell script.

I would do most of it by hand, i.e. extract the address' into a file
with grep with a little hand cleanup.

Then create a simple script that takes arguements and builds the mail
message.

Finally a script that walked the list and sent all of the messages.
Probably 15 minutes of work with testing.

Regards,

Steve Morris

---

From: [email-masked] (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:46:04 -0600 (CST)

Steve Morris suggested to Mark Anderson,

| I would do most of it by hand, i.e. extract the [addresses] into a file
| with grep with a little hand cleanup.

| Then create a simple script that takes [arguments] and builds the mail
| message.

| Finally a script that walked the list and sent all of the messages.
| Probably 15 minutes of work with testing.

	#!/bin/sh
	formail -rtzxTo: < folder | while read name
	do sed "s/@MARKER@/$name" raw.message | rmail $name
	done

In case there might be more than one message from the same sender, try this:

	#!/bin/sh
	formail -rtzxTo: < folder | sort -u | while read name
	do sed "s/@MARKER@/$name" raw.message | rmail $name
	done

You could leave the -z option off formail with no damage.  If you don't
have to put the individuals' addresses into the text, then the fourth line
could be just "do rmail $name < message".

If you want to put their actual names in instead of (or as well as) just
their email addresses, that will be much harder.